About Me

My photo
Minneapolis!
In the word's of my brother, I am here to practice unconditional love toward creation with as pure a heart as I can maintain.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

A penny for your thoughts? or maybe $5000 for those of professors?

So, here I am on a Saturday night, taking a break from the studying I hardly did to write about a life i don't understand. I was talking to my friend Yianni the other day and he made me acutely aware of how ridiculous the American University system is, maybe the universal system, I don't know, I've only ever gone to school here. 

I love animal, I want to be a zoologist, can some one tell me, why I'm studying the chemical reaction of a heart contraction? Anyone? Anyone at all? I don't want to know how the organs work I want to know how the animal works. And SURE it's interesting and SURE it's good knowledge but do you really think when I'm observing the behaviors of cougar I'm gonna think "oh cool, look at the fact that it's alive, that must mean his S-A node is working b/c his heart is beating... FASCINATING." There is so much b.s that goes into the University system, it's enough to give up on it all together. 
This is my theory:

 %50 of all course work is worthless, academic "fluff", if you will, put in t
o give students busy work. College is supposed to be "hard" so they make is so by giving you insane amounts of work to keep you busy so you feel you're getting your moneys worth. 

25% of course work is general, topic specific information, you don't really need it, but it's interesting and it gives you a general idea of the subject you're studying.

 10% is extra credit work. Tasks that, if ac
complished, will separate the students who are really meant for the field and those who are just farting around. 

 10% percent of course work is mandatory knowledge you need to succeed. Fundamentals of the topic you are studying. This 10% is what you have to decipher a mist all the other "fluff" as truly important and it is this information you must master.

 5% of college work is the really really hard questions of the test, meant to separate the truly brilliant from the mediocre student. The knowledge that aces the test. 

So that's my theory about University
. It's nothing more then a game and those who know how to play it are cunning not necessarily smart.  Now having said that, I need to go study the neuromuscular junction of the human heart. I love science :)

peace.

2 comments:

Robert L. said...

The University must have done something for you...You were ably to add 50% to 25% with 10% adding on another 10%...you came to the conclusion that 5% was "...meant to separate the truly brilliant from the mediocre student." You see it worked :) Haaaaaa. The University at work...No wait...You learned to add before the University...never mind.

Robert L.

Model Citizen said...

haha, thanks Robert... you're awesome...hahaha NOT... ;)